Germany and Liberia: Bilateral relations
Bilateral relations between Germany and Liberia go back a long way. The Hanseatic cities of Lübeck, Bremen and Hamburg recognised Liberia’s independence back in 1855 (the first partners after the UK) and opened a joint consulate in Monrovia.
After closing in 1990 due to the civil war, the German Embassy recommenced its work in Monrovia in 2005. Bilateral relations intensified during the term of office of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate. The German private sector had a strong presence in the country until the outbreak of the civil war in late 1989. In contrast, there are only a few German companies operating in Liberia today.
Liberia is a partner country of German development cooperation, which is mainly concentrated in the sphere of infrastructure support. Acting on behalf of the German Government, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) is supporting the Liberian Government in the reconstruction of the country’s transport sector, the governance of raw materials, renewable energies, as well as the healthcare sector.
With the help of the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW), the Mount Coffee hydroelectric power plant was rehabilitated. Furthermore, the Liberian section of the West African Power Pool (WAPP) is being expanded.
Numerous German NGOs are working in Liberia, mainly in the medical and humanitarian spheres. In some cases they have financial backing from the German Government.
Germany also played a major role in providing debt relief to Liberia through the Paris Club.
To fight the Ebola epidemic, Germany provided extensive humanitarian, medical, logistical and technical support to Liberia.