Relations between Germany and the Principality of Monaco have traditionally been friendly, as attested by the fact that one of the country’s few embassies can be found in Berlin. Isabelle Berro Amadeï has been Monaco’s ambassador in Berlin since 2015. The country also maintains honorary consulates in Düsseldorf, Frankfurt am Main, Hamburg, Munich, Potsdam and Stuttgart. The German ambassador in Paris has been accredited to Monaco since December 2007. Since March 2012, the interests of German citizens living in Monaco have been looked after, at consular level, by the German embassy in Paris. Germany has had an honorary consul in Monaco since 1988.
There are almost 900 German nationals living in Monaco, approx. 2.4% of the population. Around two-thirds of them are people in gainful employment or members of their families. The International German Club has played an active role in the country’s social life since 1973.
The Principality of Monaco signed an extradition treaty and a treaty on mutual assistance in criminal matters with the Federal Republic of Germany in 1962. A Tax Information Exchange Agreement between the two countries entered into force in December 2011.
In the third trimester of 2017, just as in 2016, Germany was Monaco’s principal export partner (94.6 million euros), ahead of Italy and the United Kingdom. Monaco’s trade with France does not appear in its foreign trade statistics. In the third trimester of 2017, Monaco’s imports from Germany were worth 133.4 million euros; Germany thus rose from fifth place in 2016 to second place, behind Italy (260.2 million euros).
The good quality of relations between the two countries can also be seen from the frequent bilateral meetings. For example:
- 12 September 2016, Kiel: Presentation of the 2016 German Ocean Award to Prince Albert II for his long-standing commitment to researching and protecting the Mediterranean.
- 14-15 May 2017: German Ambassador Meyer-Landrut visits Monaco.
- 23-24 September 2018: Prince Albert II attends Hamburg Climate Week.
- 1 February 2019, Dresden: Presentation of the Dresden St George Medal to Prince Albert II.
- 21 February 2019: Prince Albert II visits Düsseldorf for the “boot Düsseldorf 2019” watersports trade fair.