Last updated in June 2018
Bilateral relations between Germany and Liberia go back a long way. In 1855, the Hanseatic cities of Lübeck, Bremen and Hamburg immediately followed the United Kingdom in recognising Liberia’s independence and opened a joint consulate in Monrovia.
The German Embassy was closed due to the civil war but recommenced its work in Monrovia in 2005. Bilateral relations intensified during President Johnson Sirleaf’s term of office (visits include that by Federal Chancellor Merkel to Liberia in 2007 and the visits to Germany by Liberian President Johnson Sirleaf in 2008 and 2015).
The German private sector had a strong presence in the country until the outbreak of the civil war in late 1989. In contrast, there are only a few German companies operating in Liberia today.
Liberia is a partner country of German development cooperation, which is mainly concentrated in the sphere of infrastructure support. Acting on behalf of the Federal Government, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) is advising the Liberian Government on reconstruction of the country’s transport sector, natural resource governance and renewable energy, as well as on the healthcare sector.
Environmental cooperation focuses on providing support for the Taï-Sapo National Park (also involving Côte d’Ivoire).
The rehabilitation of the Mount Coffee hydroelectric power plant and the expansion of the Liberian section of the West African Power Pool (WAPP), as well as other projects, are being realised with the help of the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW).
Germany also played a major role in providing debt relief to Liberia through the Paris Club.
To fight the Ebola epidemic, Germany provided extensive humanitarian, medical, logistical and technical support to Liberia.
This text is intended as a source of basic information. It is regularly updated. No liability can be accepted for the accuracy or completeness of its contents.