Welcome

Foreign Minister Steinmeier shocked by the attack on the Reina nightclub in Istanbul on New Year's Eve Turkey

04.01.2017 - Article

The attack on a nightclub in Istanbul was met with shock and outrage around the world. Foreign Minister Steinmeier condemned “this act and every form of terrorism in the strongest possible terms”.

The attack on a nightclub in Istanbul on New Year’s eve was met with shock and outrage around the world. Some 39 people were killed and numerous people injured in the attack. Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier condemned “this act and every form of terrorism in the strongest possible terms”. He said that Germany stood shoulder to shoulder with Turkey at this difficult time.

Shocked by a cowardly attack

Foreign Minister Steinmeier speaks to the press (file photo).
Foreign Minister Steinmeier speaks to the press (file photo).© Michael Gottschalk/photothek.net

“Once again, Istanbul has been the target and the victim of a terrible act of bloodshed. I am shocked by the events of New Year’s Eve on the Bosphorus”, said Foreign Minister Steinmeier on New Year’s Day. Once again, the German Foreign Minister continued, “innocent young people in Turkey who, like millions of others throughout the world, simply wanted to come together to have fun and enjoy seeing in the New Year have become victims of an appalling and cowardly attack”.

Steinmeier offered his heartfelt sympathy to the families and friends of the victims, wishing “the many people who have been so badly injured a full and rapid recovery”. Federal President Gauck and Federal Chancellor Merkel also condemned the attack and expressed their condolences to President Erdogan.

Germans also caught up in attack

View of Istanbul from the sea (file photo).
View of Istanbul from the sea (file photo).© Thomas Imo / photothek.net

With respect to the question as to whether there were any German victims, a Federal Foreign Office Spokesperson said on Monday (2 January) that it must be assumed that Germans were also among the victims. “We believe that two of those who were killed came from Germany, i.e. they were permanent residents here.” He said that the Federal Government was cooperating very closely and intensively with the responsible Turkish authorities.

The Spokesperson also stated that three German nationals had been injured in the attack. He added that they were receiving excellent medical treatment and were no longer in a critical condition.

Attack on a way of life

Istanbul city sky line
Istanbul city sky line© Photothek / Trutschel

The attack on a nightclub on New Year’s Eve was not only an attack on Turkey, the Federal Foreign Office Spokesperson continued, but also an attack on a particular way of life, “one that we also share”. This was also apparent from the victims’ wide range of different nationalities.

The Federal Foreign Office has updated its travel and security advice for Turkey following the attack. Travellers and German nationals in Turkey are encouraged to consult this advice on a regular basis on the Federal Foreign Office website (in German, link below).

Find out more:

Travel and security advice for Turkey (in German)

Foreign Minister Steinmeier on the attac in Istanbul on NewYear's Eve

Related content

Keywords

Top of page