Leadership of the Directorate‑General
The new Directorate-General for International Order, the United Nations and Arms Control is headed by the Federal Government Commissioner for Disarmament and Arms Control, Susanne Baumann.
Alongside the Federal Government Commissioner, the leadership of the Directorate-General comprises three directors.
Moreover, a military advisor, head of division for UN Personnel Policy and a coordinator for the Foreign Policy Dimension of Global Health Issues provide direct support to the leadership of the Director-General.
The directors’ areas of responsibility
The following areas of responsibility are assigned to the Director for the United Nations, International Cyber Policy and Counterterrorism:
- The concept of international order
- The United Nations (focus on the Security Council and peacekeeping operations)
- Task Force for Germany’s 2019/2020 Security Council Candidature
- International cyber policy
- Combating terrorism and the trade in illicit drugs
- Cooperation with civil society and academia
- UN Global Compact (consortium of businesses committed to implementing 10 principles)
The following areas of responsibility are assigned to the Deputy Federal Government Commissioner for Disarmament and Arms Control:
- Nuclear disarmament and nuclear security
- Implementing the Vienna Agreement on the Iranian nuclear programme
- Conventional disarmament, arms control and worldwide confidence- and security-building measure (e.g. mines, cluster munitions, small arms, new technologies), preventative arms control
- Conventional arms control and confidence- and security-building measures in Europe (OSCE framework)
- Disarmament in the field of chemical and biological weapons, Programme for Excellence in Biological Security
The following areas of responsibility are assigned to the Director for Human Rights, International Development and Social Affairs:
- Principles of foreign policy and coordination of international cooperation in the field of sustainable development
- Economic and social issues, Agenda 2030, migration in the UN framework
- Human rights, equality and gender issues
- UN location Bonn