To serve Germany's interests - to assist our citizens - to foster values
We serve the interests of Germany and its citizens throughout the world. We work for peace, freedom, democracy and economic and social development around the globe as well as for the preservation of the natural resources on which all life depends. We seek to foster respect for human rights, international law and the rule of law. We take forward the process of European integration.
Our actions reflect the responsibility we bear in the light of German history. Our tasks are defined in the Foreign Service Act.
To shape - to communicate – to help
Shaping the future
- We ensure that Germany speaks with one voice in the international arena. To that end we cooperate closely with policy-makers, the business community and civil society.
- We analyze political, economic, social and cultural developments in other countries and propose appropriate strategies and options.
- We work with international organizations to enhance respect for human rights and international law, strengthen stability and create an environment in which democracy and the rule of law can flourish.
- We are active in promoting disarmament, arms control and the non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
- Our worldwide presence enables us to give early warning of and prevent conflicts as well as to respond promptly and efficiently to disasters of all kinds.
- We want to see globalization offer everyone equal opportunities.
- We want others to see Germany as a globally-minded nation. We open doors for German businesses and academics. We establish contacts and build networks. We promote interest abroad in our language and culture.
- Our citizens abroad can depend on our help when they are in difficulties. For citizens of other countries, too, we provide advice and assistance.
- People in Germany can call on our knowledge and expertise on all matters relating to the world beyond our borders.
Variety - challenge - opportunity
We believe our work is important for our country's future. All of us in the Foreign Service see the variety of our tasks as a challenge and living abroad an opportunity to be grasped.
Hence we are ready
- to adapt to different cultures and societies
- to work in other languages and learn new ones
- to regularly change our surroundings and start anew
- to accept also difficult living conditions.
Our recipe for success:
Team work - competence - achievement
We perform as a team whose members respect and support one another and share responsibility.
The Foreign Service owes its success to the diverse skills and achievements of all its members, in whatever position and part of the world they may be!