Last updated in March 2016
Bilateral relations between Germany and Liberia go back a long way. In 1855, the Hanseatic cities of Lübeck, Bremen and Hamburg immediately followed the United Kingdom in recognising Liberia’s independence and opened a joint consulate in Monrovia.
After its closure due to the civil war, the German Embassy reopened in Monrovia in 2005. Bilateral relations intensified under President Johnson Sirleaf (mutual visits include that by Federal Chancellor Merkel to Liberia in 2007 and the visits to Germany by Liberian President Johnson Sirleaf in 2008 and 2015). Germany has become an important partner of Liberia.
Until the outbreak of the civil war in late 1989, Liberia was one of the priority countries of German development cooperation. The German private sector also had a strong presence in the country.
With its wealth of natural resources (in particular iron ore, timber, rubber, gold and diamonds as well as proven offshore oil reserves), Liberia remains an attractive prospective market for German investors.
Acting on behalf of the Federal Government, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) is advising the Liberian government on reconstruction of the country’s transport sector as well as on natural resource governance and renewable energy.
Environmental cooperation focuses on providing support for the Taï-Sapo National Park (also involving Côte d’Ivoire).
With the help of the KfW Development Bank, the Mount Coffee hydroelectric power plant is currently being rehabilitated and the Liberian section of the West African Power Pool (WAPP) is being expanded. Since electricity prices in Liberia are among the highest in the world, the Liberian government has assigned high priority to these projects.
Germany also played a major role in providing debt relief to Liberia through the Paris Club.
To fight the Ebola epidemic, Germany provided extensive humanitarian, medical, logistical and technical support to Liberia.