Visa for Germany
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Does my foreign spouse have to provide proof of German language skills when applying for a visa (i.e. before arriving in Germany?)
- Do I need a visa for Germany?
- I am a (non-German) EU citizen and want to visit Germany with my spouse (who is not an EU citizen). Does my spouse need a visa?
- Do I need a visa if I want to study/work in Germany?
- What is the procedure for applying for a tourist/visitor/business visa? What documents do I need to present?
- I'm planning a trip by air and have to transit at a German airport. Do I need a visa?
- I am not a EU national and want to live in Germany with my German spouse. What do we have to do?
- I am not a German national and want to marry my German partner in Germany. What do we have to do to get an entry visa?
- What is the procedure for applying for a work visa?
- What is the procedure for applying for a student visa?
- Are there special visa arrangements for EU citizens?
- For my visa application I need an invitation from a relative/acquaintance living in Germany. What form does such an invitation have to take?
- What countries are Schengen states?
- My visa was issued by a German mission abroad. Can I use it to travel to other countries in Europe?
- My visa was issued by a mission of another Schengen state. Can I use it to travel to Germany?
- I want to travel to Germany/the Schengen area several times in the next few months. Can I apply for a visa with longer validity?
- How long does my passport have to be valid if I want to apply for a visa for a trip to Germany?
- I am in Germany on a tourist/visitor/business visa. For important reasons, I want to stay in Germany past the expiry date of my visa.
- Who is responsible for the decision on the granting of a visa?
- Where do I have to apply for my visa?
- I am a foreigner living in Germany and am planning a trip abroad. Do I need a visa?
- Can I take on holiday jobs in Germany?
- Do foreigners with a residence permit for one of the Schengen member states need a visa to visit Germany?
- I don't need a visa for my trip to Germany, but are there other things I should bear in mind?
- The person I issued an invitation for has had their visa application rejected. What can I do?
We hope you understand that we cannot respond individually to questions featured in this catalogue.
Have you not found the answer to your question? Give us a call (hotline number +49 30 5000 2000) or send us an email. One of our help desk staff will answer your inquiry as quickly as possible.
You are living abroad and you are in need of consular information? Please contact the German
mission which is competent for your place of residence.