Visa for Germany
Do I need a visa?
- Do I need a visa for Germany?
- I am a (non-German) EU citizen and want to visit Germany with my spouse (who is not an EU citizen). Does my spouse need a visa?
- Are there special visa arrangements for EU citizens?
- Do foreigners with a residence permit for one of the Schengen member states need a visa to visit Germany?
- My visa was issued by a mission of another Schengen state. Can I use it to travel to Germany?
- I'm planning a trip by air and have to transit at a German airport. Do I need a visa?
- I don't need a visa for my trip to Germany, but are there other things I should bear in mind?
- My visa was issued by a German mission abroad. Can I use it to travel to other countries in Europe?
- I am a foreigner living in Germany and am planning a trip abroad. Do I need a visa?
- What countries are Schengen states?
General information on application process
- Where do I have to apply for my visa? And who is responsible for the decision?
- How long does my passport have to be valid if I want to apply for a visa for a trip to Germany?
- I want to travel to Germany/the Schengen area several times in the next few months. Can I apply for a visa with longer validity?
- I am in Germany on a tourist/visitor/business visa. For important reasons, I want to stay in Germany past the expiry date of my visa.
- The person I issued an invitation for has had their visa application rejected. What can I do?
Schengen visa (short term)
Tourist, visitor, business
- What is the procedure for applying for a tourist/visitor/business visa? Can we apply for the visa in Germany?
- For my visa application I need an invitation from a relative/acquaintance living in Germany. What form does such an invitation have to take?
National visa (long term)
Spouse & marriage
- I am not a German national and want to marry my German partner in Germany. What do we have to do to get an entry visa?
- I am not an EU national and want to live in Germany with my German spouse. What do we have to do?
- I am a German citizen and want to move to another EU country with my spouse (who is not an EU citizen). Does my partner require a visa?
- I am not a German national but am living and working in Germany with a valid residence permit. Can my spouse ....
- Does my foreign spouse have to provide proof of German language skills when applying for a visa (i.e. before arriving in Germany?)
Study & work
- Do I need a visa if I want to study/work in Germany?
- What is the procedure for applying for a student visa?
- What is the procedure for applying for a work visa?
- Can I take on holiday jobs in Germany?
We hope you understand that we cannot respond individually to questions featured in this catalogue.
Have you not found the answer to your question? Give us a call (hotline number +49 30 5000 2000) or send us an email. One of our help desk staff will answer your inquiry as quickly as possible.
You are living abroad and you are in need of consular information? Please contact the German
mission which is competent for your place of residence.