I am not a German national and want to marry my German partner in Germany. What do we have to do to get an entry visa?

First of all find out from the competent registry office in Germany what documents you and your German spouse have to present in order to marry in Germany.

As soon as the registry office confirms your documents are complete, you can apply for a visa to marry in Germany.

Once you are married the final residence and work permit will be issued by the foreigners authority in Germany.

Details on the documents to be presented with your visa application are often available on the webpage of the competent German mission abroad or directly from the mission itself.

Visa regulations

Here you can find out whether you need a visa for visits to Germany and the Schengen states of up to 90 days. Foreigners wanting to stay longer than 90 days in Germany, who want to work or study in Germany, as a rule automatically need a visa. more

share page:

About us

Entry & Residence

Foreign & European Policy